Employment at Whidbey Island Waldorf School
Whidbey Island Waldorf School Seeks a School Administrator
The Whidbey Island Waldorf School seeks a full time School
Administrator with a passion for non-profit leadership and Waldorf education. The
position will start no later than the summer 2017. The ideal candidate will have prior
administrative experience in a Waldorf School, a basic understanding and ongoing
commitment to the study of Anthroposophy, and be excited to partner with a dedicated
faculty and an enthusiastic Board of Trustees who, together and through mutual
respect, help guide our school.
Our School and Its Unique Island Location
Our school’s rich Waldorf tradition, high caliber teachers, engaged parent body and
beautiful island location all combine to make WIWS a “destination” school. Founded in
1985, the Whidbey Island Waldorf School (currently 100 students: nursery through 8th
grade and an AWSNA Developing School) is located on Whidbey Island in the Puget
Sound and within the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. Our school’s buildings are
set amidst 100 acres of ecological trust forestlands where our students often walk and
study. Our island location is peaceful and family-oriented, with beaches, trails, and
easy access to several national parks and forests. Our school is also surrounded by the
rich and diverse arts community of South Whidbey, and is only one hour from the
bustling cultural life and opportunities of downtown Seattle.
· Administer the day-to-day operations of the school, including exercising fiscal,
budgetary, and legal authority, as well as managing risk and school resources.
· Lead and manage the school’s administrative staff.
· Work in close collaboration with the Faculty and Board of Trustees.
· Monitor and address the well-being of the entire school community and facilitate
positive interactions and collaboration among school constituencies.
· Responsible for and conscious of the overall parent experience.
· Uphold professional practices in human resource management.
· Lead in the execution of the school’s vision for the future.
· Embody, advocate, and execute the mission and values of the school.
· Represent Whidbey Island Waldorf School and its values to the broader
community, region and the Waldorf movement.
Qualifications and Qualities that will suit our school
· Bachelor’s Degree required: Master’s Degree or higher preferred.
· Extensive experience desired as a teacher, administrator or school director in a
pre-K through grade 8 or 12 Waldorf School.
· Waldorf Administrative training highly desired.
· Business and financial management skills required: familiarity with General
Accounting Practices preferred.
· Team player who is able to oversee the school’s administrative staff with strategic
prioritization and delegation.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Lead by example and in a responsive and non-reactive manner.
· Demonstrated experience working out of servant and collaborative leadership
· Friendly and approachable with the entire school community, and enthusiastic to
be an important public face for our school.
We offer a competitive salary for a rural school, 100% tuition remission for your children,
as well as health care benefits.
How To Apply:
Candidates are requested to submit the items below by email to wiws-2017-hiring-
1. A letter of interest articulating why the candidate believes he or she is best suited for
A resume with reference contacts.
A brief biography.